The following are pictures of an ORCA Canoe Tripping Level I course I had the opportunity to attend this past winter in London, Ontario. The course included 4 separate training sessions, a pool session, and the canoe trip:
- Introduction – Canoe Resources – Navigation (including maps and compass) – Knots and Lashings.
- Canoeing First Aid – Including First Aid Kit – Hypothermia – Prevention & Treatment – Trip Planning – Portaging Techniques.
- Food & Menu Planning – Weather Interpretation – Environmental Concerns – Canoe Heritage.
- Canoe Construction & Design – Canoe Tripping Gear – Clothing & Personal Items – Tools and Repair Kits – Packing – Fires & Stoves.
– Swimming and Treading
– Retrieving a Swamped Canoe Canoe
– Over Rescue
– Self Rescue
– Line Toss.
– Canoeing Skills Review & Testing
– Portaging Skills
– Camping Skills
Testing Location: Algonquin Park Interrior – Magnetawan Lake entrance #4.
A quick pose for the camera before getting into the swim gear and tackling the long awaited tests in the pool. The swim test was four lengths with a life jacket adorned. It sounds easy enough…try it some time…I would have rather done it without the jacket…much easier.
The Algonquin Interior Trip
FULL REPORT HERE…SOON, I PROMISE…
Filed under: Uncategorized |